Looking for something to do with zucchini? Try this perfect summer veggie delight - guaranteed to make any occasion special and ideal for your next “covered dish.” I promise that friends will beg you for this recipe. Served at room temperature or hot, it goes with any main entre, especially Florida seafood.
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 green medium Florida zucchinis (1 pound), cut in ½ inch pieces
2 yellow Florida zucchinis or squash (1 pound), cut in 1/2 inch pieces
4 scallions, thinly sliced
4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground pepper
½ cup of fresh chopped dill
½ cup of chopped flat-leaf parsley
10 large eggs: 5 large whole eggs plus 5 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 medium or large Florida tomato thinly sliced
2 ounces of feta cheese, crumbled
1 deep dish glass pie plate
· Preheat oven 325 degrees.
- At low to medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the zucchini, squash and scallions and stir for 1-2 minutes. Next, add the garlic, a teaspoon of marjoram, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently until soft and beginning to brown, about five minutes total (for all ingredients).
- Transfer zucchini/squash mixture to a large bowl and let cool.
- In smaller bowl, whisk the 5 whole eggs and the 5 egg whites. Add the chopped dill and parsley. Pour over the cooled zucchini and stir the mixture.
- Pour into a deep baking dish that has been sprayed with Pam (or use butter in absence of Pam cooking spray).
- Cover the top with sliced tomatoes. Sprinkle with feta cheese.
- Bake one hour at 325 degrees.
- Serve hot or at room temperature
Adapted from Martha Stewart's Zucchini Pie recipe.